A series of lectures exploring the diverse ways in which documentary makers engage with their craft.
These talks examine the practicalities of researching, funding and distributing independent documentary projects. They explore the ideas, questions and philosophies that documentary film makers grapple with and the varied experiences of the people who make the films possible. This season features a range of committed film makers who have found different ways of sustaining their craft.
For more information on this series contact Reuben Irving at the University of Worcester email@example.com
- Kate Evans – Documentary Cartoonist - Kate Evans is an internationally acclaimed cartoonist specialising in Documentary Graphic Novels. Her talk will focus on her latest work ‘Threads from the Refugee Crisis” She explores a range of subjects including: historical research, accuracy and representation; journalism; politics, sociology … Continue reading
- Myrna Tsapa – Director/Producer - Myrna Tsapa 21st Febraury 2018 Screening of Katinoula 12.15pm Live Video Chat with Myrna: 1.15pm Room EE1126, Digital Arts Centre, University of Worcester Katinoula Documentary , 2012 Greece,HD,Stereo,47 mins Cairo 2010. Katinoula has grown old, but still actively serves … Continue reading
- Shaun Dey – founder of Reel News. - Shaun Dey is the founder and principal film maker with Reel News. Reel News uses film as an active tool in creating change. Since 2006 they have made over 350 films and have had two million views of their videos on Facebook in the last 12 months. They are involved in campaigns around the Grenfell fire, Saving the NHS, Mc Strike, Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign, Million Climate Jobs, and have just returned from Catalonia. Shaun will be talking about what he does, why he does it and how he sustains it... Continue reading
- Anne-Marie Sweeney – Documentary Director - Tuesday 21st November 13.15 – 14.15 EEG185 Anne-Marie Sweeney is an acclaimed campaigning film maker. Her films, revealing the often unsung role of working class women as agents of political change, are imbued with humour and resistance. They have been … Continue reading
- Morag Livingston - If you weren’t here you missed another great guest speaker today: Moving from corporate world into Arts Making films and keeping the subjects anonymous Working with vulnerable people. How to sustain a passion project. Building a story.Applying visual elements. Using … Continue reading
- Morag Livingston – Director – Guest Lecture - Tuesday 14th November 11.00- EE1126 – Screening of Belonging 13.15- EEG185 – Directors Talk All welcome. Morag Livingstone is the Director of Belonging (2017). She is an experienced short filmmaker, writer, and documentary photographer telling the real stories of real people in order … Continue reading
- Paul Jackson – Documentary Editor – Guest Lecture - Paul has decades of experience as an editor working in Documentary, Fiction and Factual TV. He is now semi retired but continues to work as a camera operator and editor for TV documentary and other documentary projects. He will be … Continue reading
- Elizabeth Mizon – Producer / Director - Guest Lecture – Tuesday 17 October 2017, 13.15 Part of the Documentary Perspectives series. Elizabeth is a writer, producer and director, a media activist, co-director of Bristol Radical Film Festival and resident filmmaker at Screenology. She produced the experimental Film That … Continue reading
- Louis Price – Documentary maker and Video Designer - Guest Lecture – All Welcome Tuesday 10 October 2017, 13.15 Video Studio, EEG185 Digital Arts Centre, University of Worcester, St. Johns Campus Louis graduated from Central St Martin’s School Of Art. He is a director, editor and producer of films … Continue reading
- Documentary Perspectives - A series of lectures exploring the diverse ways in which documentary makers engage with their craft. These talks examine the practicalities of researching, funding and distributing independent documentary projects. They explore the ideas, questions and philosophies that documentary film makers … Continue reading